With so much going on, it seemed sensible to put all the information in a regular newsletter instead of multiple e-mails, so we’ll circulate this and put it up on the website: (www.brockenhurstwineclub.com)
- 26th April tasting – Laura Clay AWE is presenting “A New Look at Bordeaux” on 26th April, 7.30pm in the Brockenhurst Village Hall. Laura is an accredited expert on Bordeaux and I’m sure she’ll give us a fascinating insight into the occasionally stuffy world of the Gironde and its wines and winemakers.
- 24th May tasting – our own Max Jewell will present “Matching Great Cheeses and Wines” – a combined tasting of Max’s 8 selected wines and 12 cheeses from “The Cheese Stall” in Winchester Market – this is one not to miss!
- 26th June tasting – Sarah Rowlands AWE is going to bring a selection of wines from the lesser-known (i.e. not Rioja or Jerez) regions of Spain.
- 26th July tasting – BBQ and “Open-Cellar” tasting at John and Sally’s, Ford Cottage, more details later
We are also negotiating with “The Elderflower” French restaurant at Lymington Harbour for a mid-day tasting lunch with matched wines, looking for up to 20 persons and up to £50/head, sometime in June – anyone who knows the Elderflower will know how good their food is, one might anticipate a Michelin Star if they continue on their current track!
We’re also investigating how we might organise a vineyard trip, Hambledon Vineyard being a favoured option. Once we have costs and transport options we’ll put forward a proposal and see how many takers we might have – most likely we would organise a minibus so that people can have a drink or two without worrying!
We welcomed Steve Thomas onto the Committee at the last meeting. We had a number of responses to our survey of members and several good ideas (thanks, folks), so we’re proposing to make some changes to the way we run tastings as a result:
- Extend the room booking to 10.30pm so that we have time for a socialising/raffle/etc. break during the tasting (e.g. between white and red wines)
- Finishing at 10.30pm will allowmore time for “drinking-up” and clearing up.
- For an especially popular wine, we will ask for those who might like buy a few bottles; if there are enough takers we will arrange to order a case or two for distribution. Some presenters may offer their own arrangements.
Please keep those ideas coming in, and PLEASE let us know in advance if you plan to attend the next tasting, it makes planning SO much easier!
That’s all for now, folks. John